Healthy candles- Why not soy, palm or paraffin candles?

Why not use other types of wax for your candles?

The short answer is your family's health, and the planets.

There has been a huge amount of research done on candles and the effects they have on your health. We feel that using only beeswax candles is an important part of reducing your exposure to the dangers shown below.

Firstly, this article gathers a considerable amount of sources together about the concerns of different candles and fragrance:

Article on cancer concerns for other candles here.

Why not use soy wax?  

Soy is not a natural wax. It is a heavy metal hydrogenated oil.

96% of soybeans grown globally are Monsanto genetically- modified soy beans. Pesticides and other chemicals are used in soybean farming.

Many soy candles add palm oil to make them firm/hard or so they don't melt in the summer heat. Many of the fragrances used are artificial, petrochemical- derived oils and therefore can cause toxic fumes whn you burn the candles.

The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) expresses the effects on the planet the best:

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/about_forests/deforestation/forest_conversion_agriculture/soy_deforestation_social/

They point out that soy plantations are causing a huge problem with deforestation. We believe soy should not be used for candles to add to this problem.

Why not use palm wax?

Sadly the increased use of Palm oils/products has caused a rush in plantations which has meant the massive destruction of forests. This in turn has effected so many animals, including the orangutans.  See here for WWF description of the problems faced:

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/about_forests/deforestation/forest_conversion_agriculture/orang_utans_palm_oil/

These are just some of the reasons we will not use soy and palm waxes for candles. They are not "natural" and cause huge damage to the planet.

Why not use paraffin wax?

Paraffin has been used for decades and are usually the white candles you can still buy in shops. Paraffin wax is a waste product of petroleum fuel, so when you light one of these candles you are basically igniting petrol in your home... toxic fumes filling your rooms. Not good for your health in any way.

So that is why we only use 100% beeswax.

We go one step further for your health, we also offer candles that are made from Australian certified organic beeswax, ensuring that the candles are free from synthetic agricultural chemicals including pesticides, fungicides and herbicides. More information on this here.