Effects of fragrance on your health
I am reading more and more research giving warnings of the effects of fragrances on general health.
From the Australian and State Government funded site Health Direct:
"About 1 in 3 people report having health problems when exposed to fragranced products. Those problems include asthma attacks , hay fever, head acre, migraine, dizziness, breathing problems, rashes, congestion, nausea and seizures. "
This matches up with what our customers say. That is, they have changed to our beeswax candles as fragranced candles were causing health issues.
Add to this, most candles (including soy and palm) add paraffin (a product made from petro chemicals) to their candles for strength (pillars) or help make them burn. When Paraffin is burnt it releases formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, toluene, benzene, and acetone, carcinogens that can lead to cancer and other health problems.
So, the good news is that you can use 100% beeswax candles instead...
Using beeswax candles has two advantages- no artificial fragrances so no health issues here, plus the bonus is that they actually help clean the air by releasing negative ions which attract the positive charged particles in the air such as dust and pollen. These then drop to the ground.
Negative ions released by a beeswax candle also have been shown to be up-lifting, give more energy and lowers stress... but we knew that, it is is good for the soul :)
We go one step further to offer the cleanest candles possible by using our Australian Certified Organic Beeswax which contains NO synthetic pesticides, herbicides, hormones or anti botics. It is what organic really means and we are proud to offer it for your families health.
More information about VOCS and health issues with fragrances? Here are some of the articles I have been reading: